Working in a Colorado chemical plant can have specific hazards and may require an employer to exercise heightened safety measures. A set of brothers recently lost their lives at a chemical facility after being injured on the job following a chemical gas accident. The plant workers were both long-time employees, and they lost their lives individually responding to the emergency needs of another person. The incident took place when one of the men first heard a female colleague who may have been injured on the job and was yelling for help in another area of the chemical plant.
The man immediately rushed to her aid along with a supervisor. Both men unknowingly rushed into a room filled with methyl mercaptan gas without wearing protective masks and inhaled the toxic chemicals. Methyl mercaptan gas is the chemical that gives natural gas its odor and is also used in some insecticides.
The brother of one of the victims grabbed a mask and rushed to the area to help after he lost radio contact with the three co-workers. He attempted to place his personal mask on his brother, but it was too late. The exposure to the chemical ultimately took the lives of all four people. Officials believe that the victims passed away fairly quickly form the chemical gas exposure.
A state and federal investigation has been launched in response to the tragic workplace accident. Reports indicate that the plant may have received multiple citations in the past couple of years for chemical emissions and other environmental and safety problems. A Colorado family that loses a loved one after being injured on the job may question the safety of the chemical plant and desire to expose the situation. Some people may choose to get help as they attempt to collect death benefits and other rightful compensation in response to the tragic loss of a loved one.
Source: chron.com, “DuPont plant workers died rushing to help”, Mike Morris, Nov. 16, 2014